What are the causes of swollen ankles with redness around the ankle area and lower legs?

Dr. Michael Miller
Wound care

In brief: simple cause

First and foremost, infection is out.
Does anyone else in your family have this, do you stand on your feet a lot, does it get better when your legs are elevated or worse as the day progresses? Look up the terms venous insufficiency or venous stasis. Stop the water pills, stop the antibiotics, and get into a good pair of 20-30mmhg compression stockings and wear them when you are up.

In brief: simple cause

First and foremost, infection is out.
Dr. Michael Miller
Dr. Michael Miller
Dr. Ronald Krauser
In a 33 year old?
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Lofgren's syndrome

I would ask your doc to check for lofgren's syndrome (acute sarcoidosis).
A chest x ray should help with this dx. There are, of course, other possibilities. You should consider seeing a rheumatologist.

In brief: Lofgren's syndrome

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine