I had a ct 5 days ago and 3 x-rays today pelvis/abdomen flank pain all normal. Dr wants another ct with and w/o contrast done. Is this a cancer risk?

Dr. Paul Velt
Diagnostic Radiology

In brief: Low risk

It does seem to be excessive the risks should be counted through out your lifetime.
If you didn't have any other studies requiring X-ray radiation you'd be fine. But this seems really excessive when ultrasound or MRI can be used to get more information. Try suggesting these non ionizing radiation studies

In brief: Low risk

Dr. Paul Velt
Dr. Paul Velt
Dr. John Michel

In brief: Yes but

The reason the doc wants the xrays may well out weigh the risk of having the test done.
I believe the risk is worth the knowledge of what is going on. You may well enough information to prevent further or disease that is present.

In brief: Yes but

Dr. John Michel
Dr. John Michel
Dr. Sewa Legha
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: No, not really

Medical use of X-rays causes minimal radiation exposure, so it is considered safe.
So you should not worry about Cancer at the present level of CT scanning..

In brief: No, not really

Dr. Sewa Legha
Dr. Sewa Legha
Dr. Jack Hinkle