18 weeks pregnant with siatica nerve pain on left side. Its gotten worse to a point where it stops me in my tracks. Very painful! is this normal?

Dr. Rakhi Dimino

In brief: Pregnant sciatica

Sciatic pain in pregnancy can be crippling.
You can use a heating pad to your buttock or soak in a warm bath. Physical therapy can sometimes help. Some women also get relief from a pregnancy support belt.

In brief: Pregnant sciatica

Dr. Rakhi Dimino
Dr. Rakhi Dimino
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: Lots of Reasons

When pregnant, there are so many things going on.
Your hormones are very different causing your ligaments to stretch quite a bit especially in the pelvis resulting in pain. Also the baby's position can place stress on your spine resulting in bulging discs or even herniated disks causing the sciatica pain. Recommend seeing a pregnancy specialized therapist that can guide you through this.

In brief: Lots of Reasons

Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Peter Ihle
I had a 30 week pregnant girl who had a severely ruptured disk with muscles weakness, severe pain. Luckily she was very thin & was able 2 do a micro diskectomy under local. This was a once in a lifetime case.
Dr. Ron Jones

In brief: Exam

You would first need an examination as there are several things that mimic sciatic pain.
Commonly in pregnancy the sacroiliac joint will become dysfunctional and mimic sciatic pain, as well as the piriformis muscle. Most of the time this is not sciatica and could be treated by chiropractic manipulation or injection of Marcaine without the use of fluoroscopy.

In brief: Exam

Dr. Ron Jones
Dr. Ron Jones
Dr. Vikram Patel