Bad bowels since having a heart attack and am on meds?

Probably the meds. Beta blockers (atenolol, metoprolol, etc) are commonly used after a heart attack to control the strength and speed of contraction. Unfortunately these medications can also wreck havoc with the bowels. Ask you doctor about switching to a beta blocker that is more specific to the heart - like coreg (carvedilol).
? Med side effects. Not sure what you mean by bad bowels (abdominal pain, gas, constipation, diarrhea or combination?). Gastrointestinal side effects can occur from medications prescribed after heart attack including aspirin, statins, beta blockers or calcium channel blockers. Please discuss with your doctor.