I am having hot flashes all the time and my periods are very irregular what does this mean?

Dr. Jill Carnahan

In brief: Hormone levels

Depending on your age, this could be a sign of menopause.
I recommend you have your hormone levels evaluated by a doctor. Decrease in estrogens, high stress, very low percent body fat, and even pregnancy can cause hormone fluctuations and change in cycles.

In brief: Hormone levels

Dr. Jill Carnahan
Dr. Jill Carnahan
Dr. Robert Phillips

In brief: Menopause?

If you are in the peri-menopausal age group, this would be suggestive that this is approaching.
If not, it suggests some hormonal changes or problems.

In brief: Menopause?

Dr. Robert Phillips
Dr. Robert Phillips
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Possible Menopause

I agree with other answer but let me add that the symptoms could be due to other causes.
Menopause is about age 51 and the symptoms start when your body has lower estrogen and later when all eggs are gone. We have simple blood tests (fsh and amh) to help. Amh can give you the best idea of how close to menopause that you are. Get tested to know.

In brief: Possible Menopause

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Adam Levy