What can I do about post traumatic stress disorder?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Get help

With ptsd, it is tempting to hide from others because one may be very frightened of them. But it's essential to get help with this condition.
You can work with therapists and psychiatrists -- there are helpful therapies and if needed, medications. There are support groups focused on particular kinds of trauma also. At home you can exercise physically and also use relaxation recordings, etc.

In brief: Get help

Dr. Ana Adelstein
Clinical Psychology

In brief: PTSD Expert & App

Working w/ a ptsd expert can really help.
You might find some preliminary guidance on the online national center for ptsd run by the us dept of veteran's affairs. (you don't need to be a vet!) the center has a helpful smartphone app you also might want to check out. It's called ptsd coach. Find it here: http://1.Usa.Gov/lpzm4m.

In brief: PTSD Expert & App

3 comments
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Great resource, Dr. Adelstein. I need to get more hip with my phone! :-)

In brief: Confront your

Avoidance. No one likes pain or fear, but this is one disorder that needs to be faced to be conquered.
You have many treatment options to include: cognitive processing therapy, psychiatric medications, virtual reality exposure therapy, emdr, group therapy, psychoeducation, pyschotherapy and more.

In brief: Confront your

Dr. Arnon Rubin