Why can it be difficult to become pregnant?

Dr. Michael Traub
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Many Steps

There are many steps to becoming pregnant - making good eggs, releasing the eggs, having good sperm, having the sperm and egg meet and having the sperm get inside the egg, and then the early pregnancy must implant in the uterus and grow well.
So a problem at any stage can make it more difficult to become pregnant. So a lot of things must happen.

In brief: Many Steps

Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Michael Traub
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Can't Get PG?

Infertility is caused by male factors about 40%, ovulation 20%, female anatomy 20%, and unexplained factors 20%.
This distribution changes a bit based on how we define the groups but you get the idea. Our tests also show us that about a third of couples have multiple causes. I believe that a diagnosis is critical to good care so that we can both make good decisions.

In brief: Can't Get PG?

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl