Want to see a shoulder specialist for shoulder pain when there's exertion. What type of diagnostic test will be required? X ray, ultrasound, MRI?

Any of those. tests could be indicated depending on the shoulder specialist's evaluation. Most likely an xray will be performed, and possibly MRI. Ultrasound not typically performed for shoulder symptoms, but occasionally may be useful.