How do i stop a panic attack when it starts.

Dr. Scott Methven
Dentistry

In brief: Breathing

We deal with a lot of anxious people! Try taking a deep breath and holding it for four seconds.
When you exhale try do it over four or five seconds. When you have reached the point where you can't exhale anymore hold it for another four seconds and continue doing this. This slow breathing really helps calm you down. Deep belly breaths, not shallow, breathing is key! best of luck!

In brief: Breathing

Dr. Scott Methven
Dr. Scott Methven
3 comments
Dr. Linda Callaghan
An old method is a brown bag where you can breathe in and out slowly. Other things patients have told me was eating ice cream as fast as possible until you have a "brain freeze" which aborted the panic attack or in the absence of such , drink ice cold water fast.
Dr. Warren Wolfe
I'm glad Dr. Methven suggested breathing exercises instead of a drug. I routinely recommend the same thing with very good results.