I had protected sex but now I am 12 days late for my period and I have tender breasts. I have no other pregnancy symptoms. Could I be pregnant?

Trust the test . Home pregnancy tests are very accurate. They are the same tests used in a doctors office. They can detect a pregnancy 7-10 days after conception. The best time to take one is when you miss your period. If you doubt the result you can repeat it in 1-2 days. If you were pregnant the hormone level would rise enough for detection. Sounds like just a late period.