What is the cause of my severe neck pain?

Neck pain. Neck pain can be muscular as in whiplash. It can be degenerative or of many other causes. A good examination, xrays and an MRI can often diagnose the problem. Cervical spondylosis is the most common surgical reason for severe neck pain. See your pcm.
Neck pain. Sharp neck pain usually comes from a degenerative joint or disc in the neck. Sometimes it's from a muscle strain or sprain. Early treatment options include a short course of nsaids (advil, aleve), gentle massage, moist heat, and focusing on posture. If pain lasts greater than 2 weeks see your physician.