What happens when you go to the hospital because you are feeling suicidal and feeling unsafe how long can will the hospital keep you for?

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Safety and support

In every hospital I've seen, you'd be provided w/ safety and they'd try to understand and offer support.
The length of staysnow are very short compared to long ago - hopefully once you feel stable they'll provide referrals. Seek therapy in addition to pills - it makes a BIG difference! Please do go - safety is important. I'm glad you asked.

In brief: Safety and support

Dr. Lynne Weixel
Dr. Lynne Weixel

In brief: Variable

That depends on things like if you are a voluntary or an involuntary admission, the laws in your state and your degree of risk.
If you have suicidal thoughts please get help NOW. Have a friend or relative drive you. If need be, you can call 911 for emergency services & they can provide transport. You can call the National Suicide hotline 24/7 at 1-800-273-8255.

In brief: Variable