I'm 38 +5, and have induction scheduled for Friday at 39 weeks. Baby has two vessel cord. I tested positive for GBS. My midwife swept my membranes yesterday without consent. I lost my mucus plug today. Two previous pregnancies both neg for Gbs. How danger

Dr. Brad Goldenberg

In brief: Risk

Group B Strep has an attack rate of about 1 per thousand, which means as a group, babies whose mothers were GBBS + had 1 chance in 1000 deliveries of having a seriously ill newborn.

In brief: Risk

Dr. Brad Goldenberg
Dr. Brad Goldenberg

In brief: Worrisome

I hope you plan to deliver in a hospital capable of advanced newborn care.
The typical management for you likely includes IV antibiotics during labor to suppress the GBS and close examination of the baby. I would expect to for the baby to stay under close observation for up to 48 hours, depending on initial findings. These are worrisome things but most do quite well when managed properly.

In brief: Worrisome

Dr. Jonathan Jassey