Could fears and phobias be linked to a food allergy/intolerance?

Dr. Howard Gurr
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Food Allergies

I have had patients who developed anxieties about eating in restaurants or being in public places due to worries about having uncontrolled bodily functions.
Fears of death may also occur if the allergic reactions are possibly life threatening. It is very stressful if someone is not sure of exactly what they are allergic to, or if they eat out in restaurants, and are unaware that they are being served foods that may have been cross contaminated with the allergen. I would suggest getting therapy with someone who understands food allergies. Speak to your physician to get recommendations in your area. s

In brief: Food Allergies

Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: No

A food allergic reaction is not a pleasant experience and some people become anxious from a hidden ingredient in their food that can send them to the er. Some become paranoid.
So the best defense is to carry Epipen (epinephrine) with you all the time, this is your insurance policy. You may never need it but is there if you do.

In brief: No

Dr. Steven Seres