Why does my body ache when I'm sick?

Dr. Thomas Bozzuto
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Body response

Body aches are common when you are feeling sick.
Fever can cause it, especially if there is shivering. Myalgia (sore muscles) can accompany many viral causes like flu. Best thing to do is make sure you drink plenty of liquids (water, juices). Stay away from beverages with caffeine. If symptoms persist longer than a few hours or a day, check with your doctor.

In brief: Body response

Dr. David Bare

In brief: To ache or not.

Myalgias (body aches) or arthralgias (joint aching) can occur with illness because of substances in the body called cytokines that are released when the body is fighting infection.
It causes an inflammation of muscle or joints and causes them to ache. NSAID like Ibuprofen care very helpful in these cases.

In brief: To ache or not.

Dr. Steven Seres