My 11 year old son doesn't feel the urge to pee, he may go twice a day. He drinks 4-5 glasses of milk a day. He doesn't drink anything else...

Dr. Melissa Gowans

In brief: Milk intake

He's not drinking enough fluids.
4-5 glasses of milk is more than recommended by the AAP for MILK intake (to much milk provides and excess of fat and protein and contributes to significant iron deficit). The official recommendation is 2 cups/day of milk. In addition to the milk intake he needs to be drinking water 32-40 oz per day - on hot days or if he's very physically active it should be more.

In brief: Milk intake

He's not drinking enough fluids.
Dr. Melissa Gowans
Dr. Melissa Gowans

In brief: Hard to comment

Most 11 yo boys are not going to be very open about pee patterns.
Most want you to leave them alone. You also obtain fluid value from other things you consume.Vegatables are 60% water while applesauce/soups/etc approach 95%.More than 16 oz of milk a day is too much & can cause dietary problems.If he is functioning at the level of his peer group, he's probably okay but could make some improvements.

In brief: Hard to comment

Dr. Koyejo Oyerinde

In brief: Inadequate hydration

Going by your description of his fluid intake, it is not surprising that he rarely has the urge to urinate.
At the minimum he should take about 2 cups of water per meal (my rule of thumb :)). At 11, 4-5 glasses of milk a day is excessive in my opinion.

In brief: Inadequate hydration

Dr. Koyejo Oyerinde
Dr. Koyejo Oyerinde
Dr. Jonathan Jassey