High ankle sprain hasn't healed since it was sprained 8 months ago. It only hurts if I walk on my toes, or twist the foot. What to do besides rest?

Physical therapy. If you have not had physical therapy, it could make all the difference for you. Ask your doctor about that as an option.
Get a second opinion. Time to get a second opinion. I don't know what you have been told by the treating doctor but if the pain continues for 8 months, it's probably a good idea to get a fresh set of eyes reevaluating the sprain. .