Whats the meaning of Herpes Type 1 IgG- Serum Positive, Herpes Type 2 IgG - Serum Negative and Herpes 1+2 IgM Ab Serum Negative? Thats my results

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: HSV1, no HSV2

The results mean you are carrying herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV1), usually from oral infection in childhood, so you probably have had it for years.
But if you have had symptoms that suggest genital herpes, it could be a genital infection. You do not have HSV2, the usual cause of genital herpes. I takes up to 12 weeks for positive results, so these results do not exclude recent infection.

In brief: HSV1, no HSV2

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
To clarify, IgM antibody is supposed to detect early infection, so that negative result may mean your HSV1 infection is old. However, IgM testing is very unreliable; false negative and false positive results are very common and the result generally should be ignored.
Dr. Jane Van Dis