Is it ok to use colace (docusate sodium) long term?

Not the best. Instead of using Colace (docusate sodium) a long term, a better approach would be to increase the amount of fiber in your diet and consider a fiber supplement, such as Metamucil, daily. When you do that, you should ramp up the fiber slowly, to avoid getting gassy, and you should increase the amount of fluid intake in addition. Good luck.
Yes. It is fine to use colace (docusate sodium) long term. Stool softeners however are not very effective in treating constipation. You might do better with a psyllium supplement like metamucil.