Any advice for self medication of severe depression?

Yes DONT!! Severe depression should be treated by a psychiatrist. Self medication is a very bad idea.
Self help vs self . medication. Self - help is great. Self -medication not so great. For severe depression - insure that you are also receiving care from a psychiatrist/ psychologist. Start with talking therapy (such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or insight oriented psychotherapy). Don't isolate. Spend time w people. Use your support system. Get out. Don’t stagnate at home. Get at least 8 hours of sleep per night.