Whats is the epinephrine fir my astma and allergy doctor prescribed it to me specially I get nervous with needles.

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Rarely indicated

Although epinephrine was used extensively in the past for asthma attacks, it is mainly used for anaphylaxis today.
If you do have frequent asthma attacks not relieved by even 4 puffs of the rescue inhaler, you may need an adjustment in your controller drug . I have not prescribed epinephrine for asthma in over 3 decades. Get a 2nd opinion if NEEDED.

In brief: Rarely indicated

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu

In brief: EMERGENCY

An EpiPen (epinephrine) is a self administered safety medication.
If you have a sudden reaction or asthma attack, injecting the med can help relax your lungs from the inside out. It is quicker and can work when your inhaled meds cannot reach deep enough in your lungs to work. Have someone explain how and when to use the med.It can be life saving.

In brief: EMERGENCY

Dr. Justin Greiwe

In brief: For Anaphylaxis

Epinephrine is prescribed for conditions that could potentially cause severe anaphylactic reactions including bee stings, food allergies, and/or medication allergies if accidentally exposed.
Talk to your prescribing doctor if you are confused about what the epinephrine was prescribed for and how to use it properly. There should be a trainer with the medication that you can practice with.

In brief: For Anaphylaxis

Dr. Justin Greiwe
Dr. Justin Greiwe
Dr. Justin Greiwe
There is really no place for epinephrine being used for asthma. There are rare instances in the hospital setting where epinephrine might be used for impending or acute respiratory failure that is unresponsive to standard therapy. There is no reason you should be giving yourself epinephrine for asthma in this instance.
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology