Even the smallest amount of any alcohol gives me a headache that can last all night and into the next day. Could I be allergic?

Dr. Jay Kashkin
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Probably not

An allergy is an event that in its basic definition is mediated by an allergic (IgE) antibody specifically programmed for a foreign protein.
In the instance of reactions to alcohol (mainly ethanol), consumption in any amount can cause facial redness, botching of the skin and nasal congestion. Because ETOH is a vasodilator it can feel like an allergy. As with anything causing reactions...avoid it

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Jay Kashkin
Dr. Jay Kashkin
Dr. Jack Hinkle