I'm seeing a gyn for the first time tomorrow and I'm extremely nervous. How can I relax about this before and during the exam?

Dr. Nathaniel Fleischner

In brief: Stay calm

Nobody wants to visit a doctor for any reason but the doctor may find something that could save your life one day.
Just remember that your gynecologist has seen thousands of patients like you and has experience in dealing with whatever issues you may encounter. Also if for any reason you don't like your encounter, you can always switch to another practitioner.

In brief: Stay calm

Dr. Nathaniel Fleischner
Dr. Nathaniel Fleischner
Dr. Audrey Prefer

In brief: BE PREPARED

Depending on the reason for the visit, be prepared.
Know your Last period, and have a short list of any questions you have. Give this matter a great deal of thought, and limit yourself to 3 questions, in the order of importance. Be sure to tell the doctor this is your first visit. I'm sure the visit will go well, if you arrive 15 min prior to visit to fill out forms. Good Luck

In brief: BE PREPARED

Dr. Audrey Prefer
Dr. Audrey Prefer
Dr. Jeffrey Levine

In brief: Several suggestions

1. Bring a friend or ask if nurse can hold ur hand during exam 2.
Bring headphones and listen to ur favorite relaxing music 3. Given ur hx GAD, can request xanax/ativan to take 30-60 min prior to exam, provided someone else can drive u there and home. 4. Try deep breathing: http://www.anxietybc.com/sites/default/files/CalmBreathing.pdf 5. Pelvic exam not necessary if u r healthy with no symptoms.

In brief: Several suggestions

Dr. Jeffrey Levine
Dr. Jeffrey Levine
Dr. Jane Van Dis