I have a tooth infection but I'm allergic to penicillin. Is 500mg Cipro (ciprofloxacin) something I can take to help?

Dr. Duane Gels
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Penicillin testing

Even though Cipro (ciprofloxacin) is typically tolerated if pcn-allergic, sounds like HealthTap dentists don't feel it is effective on dental infections.
Go see an allergist to get penicillin testing, so a dentist can prescribe you the best antibiotic. Good chance you're no longer allergic. And follow their recommendations; get it done right the first time.

In brief: Penicillin testing

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: See a dentist ASAP

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) is a second-choice bacteriostatic antibiotic, becoming first choice for treating dental infections in patients allergic to penicillin.
However, if you rely on antibiotics and not a definitive treatment, the infection will come back.

In brief: See a dentist ASAP

In brief: No

Cipro (ciprofloxacin) is not an antibiotic used to fight dental infections, and even if it were, it would not cure your dental problems.
Please call a local dentist, make an appointment, and be treated. You cannot do this on your own, no matter what. Dental problems need to be physically corrected by a dentist.

In brief: No

Dr. Marsha Davis