I had my bottom wisdom tooth removed 6 days ago and the dentist dos not stitch it. It is painful now then it was on the day, a throbbing pain. The hole it large and I can see black gunk in it. I'm not sure if it's food or what. I do smoke. Could you help

Dry Socket ? Could be. Best bet is to see your surgeon ASAP for a follow up.
See Dentist. See the Dentist that did your surgery. Post-surgical care is part of the treatment your Dentist or Oral Surgeon is responsible for. Smoking WILL retard healing, so stop at least until you have healed (I don't have to tell you that you are risking your life by smoking). Please call your Dentist right away.
Contact DDS. Number one, contact the dentist that performed the extraction. The dentist may have placed gut sutures that have dissolved. Refrain from smoking as this will delay healing and may contribute to additional problems. The dentist will check for any signs of infection including a dry socket, which can be painful. Now is the time to see if you can quit smoking for good. Good luck!
See your surgeon. If you do not see steady improvement during the first few days after surgery, don’t suffer needlessly. See your surgeon for post-op evaluation and treatment if needed.