Sometimes when I take a deep breath there is a very sharp pain in my right lung what might cause this ?

Dr. William Lizarraga
In brief: Pleuritis
Is a general term for pain when taking a deep breath and can be caused by a number of things, including infections and inflammation.
You should probably see your doctor about this to make sure it is not something serious. Anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen and naproxyn help with pleurisy. Costochondritis and trauma can also cause localised pain.

In brief: Pleuritis
Dr. William Lizarraga
Dr. William Lizarraga
Pathology
In brief: "Stitch"
That's the pleura, the sensitive membrane that lines the inside walls of your chest cavity, folding over itself.
Feels like a knife, goes away soon, right? Mention it at your annual physical if you remember. I'm glad you're taking a proactive approach to your health. Thanks for writing.

In brief: "Stitch"
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology