Side effects from coming of war fin. I have surgery and have stopped warfin for af. I have only been off one day and are getting cramps in calfs ?

Dr. Donald Alves
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Should be on heparin

If you transition off warfarin (/coumadin) for planned procedure, you should be on Heparin shots to continue blood thinning, but in a short-acting fashion.
If doing this, should not be any noticeable symptoms. If not, feeling in calves could be from clots. Talk to your dr.

In brief: Should be on heparin

Dr. Donald Alves
Dr. Donald Alves

In brief: Concerning

If you are still having afib, most likely you should still be on warfarin- coumadin.
I have not related calf cramps to weaning from coumadin. I generally reduce dosage to zero by weaning over to weeks to reduce a rebound clotting cycle- ?

In brief: Concerning

Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology