I just found out I have hepatitis C I have an appt at the end of the month. What should I expect?,

Dr. Alan Stein
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Evaluation

First step is to see if disease is active or if you are one of the lucky 15% whose immune system has contained the disease.
You'll needa hepc pcr, genotype and other tests. Treatment with 3 drugs now for genotype 1 offers cure in about 85% of patients.

In brief: Evaluation

Dr. Alan Stein
Dr. Alan Stein
Dr. Nicolas Melgarejo
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Blood work

Having tested positive for hepatitis c is just the first of many steps in order to determine when and how you will be treated.
Your doctors will evaluate the activity of disease (by testing your liver enzymes, hepatitis c viral load and possibly doing a liver biopsy if it is indicated at the time) and the genotype (identity) of your virus.

In brief: Blood work

Dr. Nicolas Melgarejo
Dr. Nicolas Melgarejo
Dr. Peter Kurzweil