Child strep and bad mucous cough. Antibiotics for 3 days still has fever. Doc prescribed claritin nasal spray and inhaler for rhonchi, why claritin?

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Good question

I am not aware of a nasal spray containing Claritin.
Even then it would not have done that much for nasal congestion or the cough That the fever is still present after 3 days of antibiotic points more to a viral infection which often causes coughing and wheezing in children especially before age 3.

In brief: Good question

Dr. Sari Nabulsi

In brief: Allergies

sometime the cold triggers the allergies and the antihistamine will dry up the secretions

In brief: Allergies

Dr. Chad Rudnick

In brief: Depends

It is most commonly used in adults. If it was prescribed by your doctor, it would be best to ask which symptom they are aiming to improve by using it. If used, it should only be for a very short duration.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Cindy Juster