If I take zyrtec Cetirizine Hcl Tab 10 mg 24hr can I still take 50mg benadryl (diphenhydramine) at night for sleep?

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

No problem expected.

No problem expected.
Dr. Justin Greiwe

While both of these medications can be taken in the same day without significant interaction, I would caution use of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) as a sleep aide long term. There are a number of things you can do that don't require medication to assist in getting a good night sleep, including good sleep hygiene. Talk to your doctor for details.

Dr. Corey Clay

In brief: Maybe

We cannot accurately comment on how to take meds without knowing what they are being taken for. If Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is taken to help you sleep, then I would try other methods (http://www.
mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/adult-health/in-depth/sleep/art-20048379). If for allergies, other approaches may also be better. That said, Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is short acting and can be taken after using 10mg cetirizine.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Peter Kurzweil