I am facing my 2nd surgery for uterine/bladder prolapse. Is there a greater risk for incontinence this time? And can this happen over and over?

Dr. Boris Aronzon
Anesthesiology

In brief: Depends

Surgical skill is important, but your underlining condition is a problem. Did you go for 2 nd opinion.
What is the success rate of this surgeon with other patients?

In brief: Depends

Dr. Boris Aronzon
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Dr. Abraham Morse
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Urogynecology

In brief: Not greater risk

This time in particular, but there is always a risk of new and persistent bladder problems - including incontinence - with any prolapse surgery.
Recent studies suggest that in some cases, even if you don't have incontinence it might make sense to include a urethral sling as part of your surgery to prevent it. You should discuss this with your surgeon. And yes, unfortunately, prolapse can recur.

In brief: Not greater risk

Dr. Abraham Morse
Dr. Abraham Morse
Dr. Jane Van Dis