I get exertion headaches when I do pushups. Could I be doing them wrong or is something wrong with my head? I have a history of migraines also.

David Miller
In brief: Exertional headaches
Exertional headaches are a primary headache type.
They are brought on by physical activity, and can last 5 minutes to 48 hours. The trick is to either avoid the offending activity or take chronic medication to help prevent them. You can also try to scale back your activity and then slowly increase it to increase your tolerance. Definitely worth seeing the doctor about this.

In brief: Exertional headaches
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Dan Fisher
In brief: Exertional headache
Headaches that reliably occur with exertion generally require one time MRI of the head to exclude structural and vascular abnormalities.
Talk to your doc or neurologist.

In brief: Exertional headache
Talk to your doc or neurologist.
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Brett Noorda
Dentistry
In brief: Blood flow
Physical activity is a common contributor to the severity of migraines, probably due to the increased heart rate and blood flow it causes.
It has long been suspected and the evidence is beginning to show that migraines are a result of altered blood flow in the brain. Your doing push ups increases blood flow to your brain, which could be the trigger for the migraines.

In brief: Blood flow
Dr. Brett Noorda
Dr. Brett Noorda
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine