Is having one or two single loose stools (not diarrhea) a week IBS? I treated myself with loperamide. Now constipated and I have mucus? IBS?

In brief: IBS more complex

While loose stools and constipation can be part of the picture of IBS- simply based upon those 2 symptoms one cannot make a diagnosis of IBS.
It is more complex so I recommend you see a physician so that an full history with blood tests, stool tests, and other diagnostics can be run so that a complete workup can be performed. www.healthtap.com/drsaghafi Key Code: PDXFNR

In brief: IBS more complex

Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Dr. Stuart Rosan
I stated that it can be IBS , + as a family doc, I try to treat the person first .I will get a real good history ,especially focusing on any stresses, and rather treat the patient . If not better , then I will do a workup , while still trying to avoid costly and unnecessary tests for a majority of the patients . It really depends on the type of relationship you have with the patient.
Dr. Stuart Rosan

In brief: It can be

IBS is usually associated with episodic pain, diarrhea and/or constipation , along with mucus.
The traditional treatment is treating the symptoms, either the diarrhea or constipation. The real cause most likely is stress related , and also more prevalent in certain personalities that are more in the Anxiety/Obsessive traits. I treat patients with discussions , then SSRI's.

In brief: It can be

Dr. Stuart Rosan
Dr. Stuart Rosan
Dr. Vicken Poochikian