When i take showers i get itchy red bumps on the tops of my hands, wrists, neck and underside of my forearms. I've switched products countless times. Nothing helps, could it be the hot water? Help!

Dr. Rashid Khan

In brief: Hot water eczema.

This type of eczema resembles an allergy.
But the skin irritation, which i, is not an allergic reaction. The current thinking is that eczema is caused by a combination of factors that include: genetics abnormal function of the immune system exposure to water being too hot or too cold sweating and then becoming chilled taking baths or showers that are too hot or last too long.

In brief: Hot water eczema.

Dr. Rashid Khan
Dr. Rashid Khan
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Probably

This sounds like an urticarial eruption due to the warm or hot showers.
Take cooler showers, avoid rubbing or drying with pressure (pat dry), use topical anti-itch preparations and consider an over the counter non-sedating antihistamine.

In brief: Probably

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick