If I'm considering a vegetarian diet, what are some of the best non-meat, non-soy sources of protein and iron to ensure my intake is adequate?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

In brief: Beans/nuts/greens

The best sources of protein for vegetarians are beans and nuts.
Eggs are good also unless you will be vegan. Beans and green vegetables are great sources of iron. Taking a multivitamin is probably a good idea as well

In brief: Beans/nuts/greens

Dr. Kathy Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson
Pathology

In brief: Be very careful

Vegetarians have the moral high ground, though the best big studies show that the claimed health benefits mostly disappear when you control for the fact that vegetarians tend to have other healthy-lifestyle factors.
You'll want to supplement -- your physician will help you. Mixing your proteins -- maize, beans, others -- helps if you're a vegan; eggs and milk if you're not.

In brief: Be very careful

Dr. Vicken Poochikian