Can a sore throat be a sign of bacterial meningitis ? Doctor just looked at my throat and gave me an antibiotic.

Dr. Katharine Cox
Pediatrics - Emergency Medicine

In brief: Sore throat

By itself, a sore throat is unlikely to indicate meningitis.
It usually indicates a virus or GAS. It is likely you would have other symptoms. If you are worried about the possibility, see you doctor. All the best.

In brief: Sore throat

Dr. Katharine Cox
Dr. Katharine Cox

In brief: No

I can't put those two issues together. I assume that you had vital signs taken including a BP, temperature & pulse.
I also assume you were together enough during that process to carry on a conversation with the staff and the doc. You did not mention a headache, difficulty thinking or other signs there was even a remote chance of this issue. If you think this doc is wrong, get a 2nd opinion.

In brief: No

Dr. Cindy Juster