Can deep posterior or posterior compartment syndrome cause the posterior lower leg to look rounder than the other leg?

Possibly. compartment syndrome presents primarily as pain particularly when muscle group is placed on stretch, often neurologic symptoms are seen in conjunction with the pain. Swelling occurs and is found within the compartment increasing pressure compromising muscles blood supply causing muscle damage. Swelling of posterior calf could also be consistent with DVT if symptomatic seek care.