Is it safe to use a cotton swab to gently clean the gunk out of my ear? I have otitis externa and am using the ear drops

Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Travel Medicine

In brief: "No!" (well, maybe)

The usual advice for cleaning ears is "nothing smaller than your elbow" goes in your ears.
Eg; NO Q-tips, Bic pen tops, chop sticks, etc. However, you probably have some drainage so gently cleaning the OUTSIDE of your ear would be fine, but I would avoid putting anything in the ear canal. Doing so, while tempting, usually just makes things worse by jamming the canal full of wax.

In brief: "No!" (well, maybe)

Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Dr. Eric L. Weiss
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine