Is it safe to take azemix 250 for acne treatment while breastfeeding?

Dr. Justin Greiwe
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Safety Data Unknown

If you are referring to azithromycin (Zmax, Zithromax) 250mg for the treatment of acne then lactation safety data is unknown: there is inadequate literature available to assess risk; caution advised.

In brief: Safety Data Unknown

Dr. Justin Greiwe
Dr. Justin Greiwe
Dr. Que Chu
Thank you very much.
Dr. Que Chu
General Practice

In brief: What drug ?

Please educate me.
I could not find the drug you mention in any standard drug information reference.

In brief: What drug ?

Please educate me.
Dr. Que Chu
Dr. Que Chu
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Azithromycin is secreted in very low amounts into mother's milk and is considered safe while nursing except it must not be used during first 2 weeks when it increases risk of pyloric stenosis in the infant. Several dose schedules are used. I suggest 250mg once a week. On general principals, however, I think you should not use oral acne treatment until you are no longer nursing.
Dr. Jonathan Jassey