Can I safely have a couple of drinks, 2 martinis while taking wellbutrin (bupropion) xl once a week? I've read conflicting statements by doctors online & my doc

Dr. Steven Reidbord

In brief: A calculated risk

1. Alcohol tends to maintain and worsen depression, so it will oppose the effect of the antidepressant.
2. Alcohol feels "stronger", so coordination, driving, etc, may be more impaired than expected. 3. The combination increases the risk of seizures (a little). 4. Suicide risk is greatly increased if a depressed person drinks. If you're an adult, you get to decide your own risk tolerance.

In brief: A calculated risk

Dr. Steven Reidbord
Dr. Steven Reidbord