Are dental x Rays needed in order for a dentist to make a custom mouth guard?

Last FMS? When was your last full mouth series of radiographs? If it was within the last three to five years, usually checkup x-rays are taken, therefore, if the dentist wants to make sure that everything is ok, in terms of decay and periodontal status it is a good idea.
Mouth Guard. Accurate dental impressions of your teeth are required for a custom mouth guard. The need for dental xrays are quite uncommon, unless some sort of pathology is a concern.
Of course. X-rays are a vital and necessary part of your dental diagnostic process and your record. Recent x-rays are needed to detect new cavities, to determine the status of gum disease before a custom mouth guard is fabricated. Good luck.
Standard of Care. That means that it is expected that your dentist diagnoses any problems with your teeth before treatment, and radiographs are needed for this. There really is no valid reason not to take them, unless you've taken them recently.
Mouth guard. Mouth guard is for injury protection when playing sports. Occlusal Orthotic, or night guard, is to prevent damage from clenching/grinding. In either case it is unwise to do any patient treatment before doing a full diagnostic evaluation, including x-rays. Today’s Dental x-ray machines produce less radiation than a wireless printer.