I am afraid to hear my diagnosis from my psychologist. My therapist has called it major depressive disorder with lability. But my psychologist just prescribed Lamictal. Does that mean I am bipolar?

In brief: Psychiatrist maybe?

Psychologists in the U.
S. are not able to prescribe medications at all. It seems like your psychiatrist diagnosed you with a MOOD DISORDER of some type. That is not the same as BIPOLAR DISORDER. Your psychiatrist can explain to the you why they chose that diagnosis and explain why you have that and not BPD. Lamictal is a good medication to try for the condition. Good luck.

In brief: Psychiatrist maybe?

Psychologists in the U.
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
2 comments
Dr. Steven Griggs
Psychologists can prescribe psychiatric meds in New Mexico and Louisiana. Other states are looking seriously at this. Prescription privileges require additional course work, an internship and passing a national test. The DoD successfully trained the first psychologists to prescribe many, many years ago and it has worked fine.
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Well, then, I stand corrected and THANK YOU very much for that very useful information Dr. Griggs.

In brief: Treatment works -

You need not be afraid of the diagnosis.
You need to understand the diagnosis or more specifically the nature of your problem and then the treatment approach that is being advised. It is usually physicians who prescribe medications not psychologists. Perhaps you meant psychiatrist- as they can prescribe medication and often also do therapy or work with your non physician therapist.

In brief: Treatment works -

Dr. Michael Blumenfield
Dr. Michael Blumenfield
Dr. Beverly Dexter
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Bipolar?

Your mental health provider SHOULD tell you what their diagnosis is because it is part of helping you to make informed choices about your care.
You have the right to know and to make choices. Bipolar disorder is inherited so there has to be some genetic history, though might not have been a formal dx before. Bipolar disorder is not a death sentence though-it can be treated well and you can live we

In brief: Bipolar?

Dr. Beverly Dexter
Dr. Beverly Dexter
Dr. Krishna Kumar

In brief: Medication effects

I understand your distress.
Thank you for informing about Depression Cymbalta (duloxetine), (duloxetine) Allergies and EpiPen. Emotional lability alone is not the Criteria for diagnosis of Bipolar disorder. Cymbalta (duloxetine) can cause mood swings. EpiPen can cause excitability, See Physician for treatment of your allergies. See Psychiatrist for Diagnosis ; discuss benefits and side effects of Cymbalta (duloxetine) and Lamictal; Therapy.

In brief: Medication effects

I understand your distress.
Dr. Krishna Kumar
Dr. Krishna Kumar
Dr. Katherine Caldwell
Try not to worry about the diagnosis. The good thing is that someone is going to pinpoint what is troubling you so that you can get the appropriate treatment.
Dr. Michelle King

In brief: Hard to say.

It may help to ask questions of your providers, such as why each med is prescribed and what it’s going to help you with.
I understand feeling afraid, and perhaps that’s something that you can work on in your therapy. As for the diagnosis of depression, it may be that lamictal was added for mood stability, but there isn’t enough information to go on. Good luck!

In brief: Hard to say.

Dr. Michelle King
Dr. Michelle King

In brief: Get good care

If you believe you have bipolar disorder, you should consult with a Psychiatrist who is familiar with diagnosis and treatment of this condition, and one who will talk openly and at length about your illness and treatment options.
Non medical therapists may offer information, but should not diagnose medical/psychiatric illnesses. Please get evaluated by a Psychiatrist and get the right treatment.

In brief: Get good care

Dr. Alan Koenigsberg
Dr. Alan Koenigsberg
Dr. Steven Griggs
Psychologists are trained and licensed to diagnose psychiatric illnesses in all 50 states. We treat with therapy, except in two states where we can also prescribe (this is currently being considered in six more states). Psychologists are experts in diagnosing using psychological tests, which psychiatrists have little or no training in. We also are better trained in therapy than any others.
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology

In brief: NO

Depression is depression by itself without mania.
Bipolar disorder, on the other hand, is a combination of both mania and depression. Also, psychologists generally cannot prescribe meds, only psychiatrists or GP's can, as well as some nurses. Whatever your label is according to the DSM, it does not in any way define the totality of YOU as a person!

In brief: NO

Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Andrew Berry
Dr. Steven Griggs
Psychologists prescribe a limited formulary in Louisiana and New Mexico. Six states are now looking at legislation to allow the same. Here's a link: http://www.amednews.com/article/20110307/profession/303079943/2/
Dr. Susan Duenke
Clinical Psychology

In brief: No

You may have answered your own question.
Lability is just indicating that your mood changes quickly or easily. Lamictal is a mood stabilizer.

In brief: No

Dr. Susan Duenke
Dr. Susan Duenke
Dr. Steven Griggs
Clinical Psychology

In brief: You probably mean

your Psychiatrist.
They prescribe and occasionally do some therapy. Psychologists do therapy and testing, but don't prescribe. Lamictal is often prescribed for bipolar disorder, but also for seizures, and other things. Discuss this with the person who prescribed it.

In brief: You probably mean

your Psychiatrist.
Dr. Steven Griggs
Dr. Steven Griggs
Dr. Wojciech Zolcik

In brief: No

Not necessarily. Lamictal is frequently prescribed for depression as well for patients with certain characteristics.

In brief: No

Dr. Wojciech Zolcik
Dr. Wojciech Zolcik
Dr. Eric Weisman