Hi I have just been prescribed Metronidazole for an infection in the gum. I think I have ear infections in both ears, would this get rid of them also?

In brief: Unlikely

Although metronidazole may have an antibacterial effect on a small spectrum of germs, it has little or no value with the type of germs that cause ear infections.
However, the inflammation that is caused by your gum infection may be giving you a false feeling of ear pain due.The nerves that supply these areas can misrepresent the location of the problem. Your doc can sort it out.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine