What is the best way to relieve pain for a buldging disk? I have been on 5m of oxycone 3 x a day since 10/2011. I stretch daily.

Dr. Seth Zeidman
Neurosurgery
In brief: Concerning
You would be well served by a complete regimen of non-operative care including formal pt, injections, etc.
If this fails then you may be a candidate for surgical intervention. Surgery is really the last resort for a bulging disc without clearcut radicular complaints. I am worried about your use of oxycodone for a prolonged period of time. I would try and wean yourself off of this.

In brief: Concerning
Dr. Seth Zeidman
Dr. Seth Zeidman
Dr. Alexandre De Moura
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Ride it out
The best way to treat a buldging disc is to undergo a formal course of conservative treatment with pt, meds, pain mgmt (trigger point injections, epidural steroid injections if you have radicular pain i.
E sciatica. Accupuncture chiropractic care etc) if all fails and you are in extreme pain after 6 months of treatment than surgery may be an option possible lumbar fusion or disc replacement.

In brief: Ride it out
Dr. Alexandre De Moura
Dr. Alexandre De Moura
Dr. K.C. Brewington
Neurosurgery
In brief: Another Opinion
While some consider a discogram diagnostic, other spine surgeons would hesitate to ever consider utilizing that modality to make diagnostic or treatment decisions.
Find a board-certified neurosurgeon or ortho spine specialist who will explain in a way you understand why he/she wishes to order a test to diagnose your symptoms and what is to be done with the info.

In brief: Another Opinion
Dr. K.C. Brewington
Dr. K.C. Brewington
Dr. Jonathan Hyde
You also may want to seek out a multidisciplinary spine pain program to help you. I have seen very good results when surgery is not an option, or when there is ongoing pain with minimal pathology.
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Bulging disc
Bacxkache from a bulging disc needs to be verified by a discogram .
95%of low backache is muscular and 30% of asymptomatic people have an MRI with bulges and/or loss of water content on MRI the surgical sucess rate for central backache is often reported as 70% i feel the 30%failure rate is a diagnostic problem blaming the bulging disc for backache is an assumption until confirmed on discogram.

In brief: Bulging disc
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Eric Weisman