My babies umbilical cord fell off today(baby is 1 Week Old). Do I put anything on it to help it heal faster?? The belly button is also outie.

Dr. Robert Paynter

In brief: Not necessarily

The umbilical stump is made to fall off - after it does there is often very little needed to facilitate it completing its healing.
You can use a small drop of liquid soap (not antibacterial) to aid in the remainder drying out - but if you do nothing it will likely be just fine! If it is not healed by the 2 week visit - your provider will take care of the rest.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Robert Paynter
Dr. Robert Paynter
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham