For nail fungus in one toe which has lost nail, my dr prescribed naftin (naftifine). everything I read says topicals don't work. should I ask for oral med?

Dr. Stephen Katz
Sports Medicine

In brief: Not yet.

I think it is best to start with a topical as they can work, if not then the oral meds are the next step.
Those meds can have lots of side effects, so be sure to discuss those with your physician if you do need to start the oral anti fungal medication.

In brief: Not yet.

Dr. Stephen Katz
Dr. Stephen Katz
Dr. Sanjay Patel
Podiatry

In brief: Oral medication for

one nail is not necessary right away.
Give the topical medication some time and a chance to work/ In some cases the topicals might be enough to rid of the fungus, make sure as the nail grows, you keep filing it down to reduce the thickness and allow the topical to penetrate better. Remember, oral medications come with added risks so consult your doctor.

In brief: Oral medication for

one nail is not necessary right away.
Dr. Sanjay Patel
Dr. Sanjay Patel