I'm breaking out in hives looks like scratches on my back inner thighs Arms shoulders in head I've been taking Benadryl (diphenhydramine) every 4 hours and isn't workin?

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: See doctor

How long have you had the hives? If this has been present for weeks and you have no response to Benadryl, (diphenhydramine) you need to consult your doctor or an allergist.
Be sure that you are not taking any drug which may be causing the problem in the meanwhile.

In brief: See doctor

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology

In brief: Dermographism

Benadryl is a poor choice.
See a dermatologist, not an allergist. You probably have a physical urticaria, hives where skin is stroked or scratched. Zyrtec [generic cetirizine is same only cheaper] is sometimes used successfully. Sometimes larger doses and other therapies. MOST important thing is accurate definition: see a dermatologist.

In brief: Dermographism

Benadryl is a poor choice.
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. John Chiu
An allergist is a better choice for hives since about 30% of chronic hives are considered from an autoimmune process. In fact, many of the dermatologists refer their patients with chronic hives to me- an allergists. Benadryl is a reasonable choice for bedtime because it tends to sedates the patient allowing him to fall asleep but not a good choice for daytime usage.