If I have ear pain from ETD and what feels like excess pressure is the valsalva maneuver a bad idea?

ET Dysfunction. Once the issues behind the ET dysfunction are solved (infection, allergy, virus, etc) (not before) then it's important to start clearing you ears with a Valsalva menuver - I am a DAN (Divers Alert Network ) physician and see numerous scuba divers who can't clear their ears. We undertake to diagnose and fix the issues then they can start to Valsalva again (required in diving). .
ETD. Trouble equalizing the pressure in your middle ear creates a fullness. You want to pop or clear your ears. It is called eustachian tube dysfunction (ETD). Decongestant either sprayed into the nose or taken orally can help. Sometimes your doctor needs to examine this and treat with other Rx, if no success with OTC Rx. Valsalva maneuvers can be done safely, gently. Don't force it.