I've had thyroid cancer 2 years ago, I take the name brand synthroid (thyroxine). Is it okay for me to take diet pills?

Dr. Myron Arlen
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: No problem

Most thyroid cancers do well after surgery if nodes were neg.
and age at surgery under 40. If all is well after surgery which removes a major part if not all of the thyroid, there is a tendency to have low levels of thyroxin requiring oral supplements and patients tend to put on wt. Taking diet pills may even be helpful if there was a significant wt. increase post surgery.

In brief: No problem

Dr. Myron Arlen
Dr. Myron Arlen
Dr. Carrie Cannon

In brief: Free T4 check

Diet pills OTC are not FDA regulated and have been shown to contain drugs like spironolactone and various hormones as well as other contaminants.
Most contain a large amount of caffeine. One diet pill can put a patient into the ER with an arrhythmia. Please use caution. Exercise and a healthy diet for weight loss is. Some people also do better at the high end of the normal range for thyroxine.

In brief: Free T4 check

Dr. Carrie Cannon
Dr. Carrie Cannon
Dr. William Forsythe