With an extremity injury, which causes less stress on the liver: drink 2 glasses of wine, or take the Vicodin my MD prescribed me? Obviously not both.

Dr. Priscilla Morris
Pain Management

In brief: It depends

That is a difficult question to answer since there are a number of variables which need to be taken into account.
Factors which effect the liver's ability to metabolize acetaminophen or wine include your baseline hepatic function, other medications that you are taking, how much wine/alcohol you drink and for how long, and how much Vicodin or other acetaminophen containing drugs you are taking.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Priscilla Morris
Dr. Priscilla Morris
Dr. Vikram Patel